My Little Corner of the Net

Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Tootsietoy Collection

TOOTSIETOY
Metal dollhouse furniture 1920's - 1930's

Tootsietoy metal dollhouse furniture was aproximately 1/2" to one foot in scale.
Each room set sold for about $1.00 and carboard houses could be purchased for $3.00-$5.00.  I have tried to bid on a few of these cardboard houses on Ebay.  They seem to go for far more than my budget will allow so for now, my collection resides in an old wooden drawer that I have sub-divided into rooms and turned up on its side.


front cover                        back cover

 

The Tootsietoy company put out a small children's book similar to the the one that the Arcade Company did to promote their toys.  ( see my post called The Arcadians) 
There is not a copyright, but it appears to be from the late 20's or early 30's.
The children in the book remind me of the Campbell's Soup kids from that era.




I call this the Blue room.  It features a rare "flocked" chaise lounge that was introduced in 1931.  It also has a rare metal bedspread.

The cream colored bathroom.


The Kitchen is still a work in progress.


The dining room features the tallest ceiling in the house, and a rare grand piano.


The living room has a red couch and chairs and a fireplace made from some wood scraps from an antique dollhouse.




I call this one the pink bedroom.  It features the older style beds.


I call this the  green room.  It features "wicker" living room furniture.


more to follow !



 



My son pointed out this tin-lithograph sign in a restaurant to me





12 comments:

  1. Wow! So many wonderful pieces. The one that stands out for me is the kitchen sink which is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wallpaper is amazing!!! Is all of the furniture metal? It sure looks like wood. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Tootsietoy furniture is metal. Most of it has "wood grain" stamped into it. As for the wallpaper, I came across a book of art deco designs and made some reduced size color copies and glued them on the walls. The furniture and rooms are such a small scale, I think it looks a lot better in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Tootsie Toy furniture, I just bought a Tootsie Toy cottage, 1929 and I'm furnishing it. I've never seen the little booklet and would love to find one, do you see them often? Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first saw the booklet on Ebay, but was outbid. Then I started poking around on the internet and found one at a lower price. You might check Abe Books. They are linked to a lot of other bookstores around the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a collection of TootsieToy furniture my mother had as a young girl. I would like to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous, send me an email at tulsatinystuff@gmail.com and tell me about your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a collection of Tootsie toys family mom dad two kids and a baby, bathroom fixtures and the kitchen sink. a couple of other pieces. I have no idea of their value or where to sell them. I was hoping some one would know something here. I have pictures if anyone can help me. thanks Peg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Tootsie Toy collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me f your pieces were repainted? I bought a lot today and they are all cream and brown. Is that original?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have collected all of the Tootsietoy furniture from the 20's and 30's,love it!! Would you have any info. on a drop front desk(it opens) not marked, found an article that said it was shown in the 1924-25 Tootsie catalog.Said that Tootsietoy included in there marketing some items made in France.I also have collected mostly all of S.Rivollet French dollhouse furniture and scale is close to Tootsie.Iam still looking for a Tootsie bird bath.
    Enjoyed looking at your rooms and hope to get started on my house soon.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I only have a couple of the pieces from France. I believe there is a picture of the desk on the McKendry dollhouse website.

      Delete